Slip and fall injuries are the most common accidental injuries that personal injury lawyers litigate (apart from automobile injuries). The majority of slip and fall cases are due to the negligence of a particular business.
Many people do not realize that slips and falls can cause such serious injuries – injuries that can significantly impact the quality of life and/or make you unfit for work. Many slip and fall injuries require continuous treatment and rehabilitation.
With all of this in mind, here are some of the most common injuries caused by a slip and fall, next to cuts and abrasions.
- Soft Tissue Injuries (Sprains and Fractures)The sudden movement involved in a slip and fall can cause the twisting of a knee or ankle. Soft tissue injuries may not be visible until days or even weeks after your initial fall. Since soft tissue injuries aren’t visible on the outside, they can be difficult to prove in a lawsuit. There is a range of soft tissue injuries, including minor ankle sprains to tendon and ligament tears. The most common injuries include forearm fractures, leg fractures, ankle fractures and upper arm/hand/wrist fractures. If left untreated, soft tissue injuries can lead to chronic pain. They can also increase the likelihood of becoming injured again in the future.Hip fractures are another type of fracture that can occur as a result of a slip and fall. Hip fractures require surgery, hospitalization and extensive rehabilitation.
- Shoulder Injuries Shoulder injuries are another common slip and fall-related injury, resulting in shoulder dislocations. These injuries require surgery and then physical therapy in order to restore the limb and joint.
- Broken Bones If you land hard enough, severe breaks that require multiple surgeries to fix can occur after a slip and fall. The tissue around the broken bones can also be damaged and require rehabilitation in order to prevent chronic pain from developing.
- Head Injuries Any head injury, regardless of how seemingly mild, requires immediate medical attention. The problem with head injuries is that, much like soft tissue injuries, they may only result in relatively mild symptoms at first. However, it’s important to go to the doctor after any type of head injury, regardless of how mild it may seem. Not only is this critical for your own health, but it can also be important for your lawsuit. Head injuries range from minor concussions (which typically resolve on their own) to serious traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) that can cause long-lasting cognitive impairment.
- Back and Spinal Cord Injuries Slip and falls can result in cause slipped or herniated discs as a result of damaged vertebrae. In turn, this leads to pain and reduced movement. Spinal cord injuries occur when the spinal cord is either severed or compressed. Spinal cord injuries are very serious, life-threatening injuries that require immediate medical attention and ongoing treatment after as well. Depending upon the location of the spinal cord injury, varying degrees of paralysis can result.
If you have been injured as a result of a slip and fall and are seeking compensation, consider the personal injury lawyers at SG Injury Law. For more information, please contact us today.