Many employees have short term (STD) and long term disability insurance(LTD) coverage. This insurance protects your income if you become ill or injured and are unable to work.
Often, even though insurance premiums are paid, insurance companies still deny valid claims for long term disability benefits. The insurance company might come up with a variety of reasons for denying or cutting off your benefits. Some of the reasons we frequently see for a termination or denial of a claim include:
- You do not meet the qualifying time requirements to claim benefits.
- Your impairment does not meet the technical definition of disability, according to the insurance company adjuster.
- The insurance company “medical partner” has reviewed the file and determined you do not meet the medical test of disability.
- The test for impairment has changed after two years and you are no longer eligible for benefits.
- The insurance company says you have not had appropriate treatment.
- You gave false medical information or made misrepresentations when applying for benefits.
Don’t give up if the insurance company says you are not entitled to long term disability benefits. We are familiar with the insurance industry and insurance company tactics. We will help you fight for your rights and hold the disability insurance company accountable if it denies your legitimate claim for benefits.
We will help get your benefits re-instated or negotiate a lump sum settlement of past and future benefits. We have specific experience handling claims against insurers such as Sun Life, Manulife, RBC and Great West Life, among others.
If you or someone you love has been denied their rightful benefits, contact us to discuss how we can help obtain the compensation that is owed by the insurance company.